The Supermarine Scylla was a flying boat originally designed to replace the Felixstowe F.5, but that was eventually used for taxing trials only.
In 1921 the Air Ministry issued Specification 14/21, for a replacement for the Felixstowe F.5, a successful flying boat of the First World War.
The Scylla went through two very different designs. The first was to be a triplane torpedo bomber, with gun positions in bow and dorsal positions, and the pilots carried in a raised cockpits amidships. It was to be powered by three 550hp Condor engines.
The version that was completed emerged as a monoplane flying boat, powered by two Eagle IX engines. It had a very deep bow profile, with two steps, and a fuselage that curved up towards the tail. It had a biplane tail with twin fins and rudders. It had room for a crew of five, with the cockpit towards the nose.
The sole Scylla was delivered to Felixstowe early in 1924, but it was only ever used for taxiing trials.
Engine: Two Rolls Royce Eagle IX engines
Power: 360hp each