The Nieuport 80 was a two-seat trainer with one set of controls, developed from the Nieuport 12 and Nieuport 13.
The Nieuport 80 was probably derived from the earlier Nieuport 13, which matched the fuselage of the Nieuport 12 with an 80hp Le Rhône engine. The Nieuport 12 itself was a larger version of the Nieuport 10, with a more powerful 110-130hp engine.
The Nieuport 80 was one of a series of training aircraft produced by Nieuport in 1917-18 and used by the French and American air services. The Nieuport 80 was a single-bay biplane, with two cockpits but single controls in the rear cockpit only.
The Nieuport 80 was used at the French flying school at Pau, where it was used by pilots making their first solo flight (after earlier training in the Nieuport 82 and then the Nieuport 81).
The United States Air Service received 147 Nieuport 80s, which were used at the American Expeditionary Force flying school at Issoudun. A number of these were amongst the first aircraft to be provided for the AEF.
A number of Nieuport 80s went to Italy, where they were used by the Sezione Difese Bologna to carry out night patrols.
Ten Nieuport 80s went to Brazil in November 1918, where they were used by the Escola de Aviacao Militar at Campos dos Afonsos. Brazil also received a number of Nieuport 81s and Nieuport 83s. All three types were retired in 1924.
One Nieuport 80 was purchased by Japan after the end of the war. The Japanese also imported and built under license both the Nieuport 81 and Nieuport 83.
Portugal bought three Nieuport 80E.2s in 1919, joining seven Nieuport 83.E.2s that they had purchased in 1916.
In 1920 a number of Nieuport 80s were converted into the Nieuport 80bis by being given an 80hp Clerget 7Z.
Engine: Le Rhône
Span: 29ft 6in
Empty weight: 992lb
Maximum take-off weight: 1,676lb
Max speed: 68mph at 6,570ft
Climb Rate: 8min to 3,280ft