Churchill Mk X

The Churchill Mk X was the designation given to Mk VIs that had been upgraded to carry extra armour, and possibly the cast turret of the Mk VII.

The Churchill Mk VI was the designation given to Mk IVs (and possibly some Mk IIIs) that had been upgunned to carry a 75mm gun in place of their existing 6-pounder guns, but that kept the Mk IV style turret.

In July 1944 the decision was made to add appliqué armoured to all re-worked Churchills. At first each was to get 3/4in armour on the side, but by December 1944 the work was to include frontal armour, improved gearbox, suspension and traverse equipment and the cast/ welded turret of the A22F Churchill VII. Mk VIs that were upgraded with both the extra armour and the new turret were to become the Mk X.

By August 1944 a shortage of the new turrets meant that that part of the upgrade programme was cancelled. Tanks that received the appliqué armour and other changes but retained their original turrets became the Mk X LT (Light Turret). These can be identified by the combination of the one piece cast turret, 75mm gun, appliqué armour and square side doors.

WWII Home Page | WWII Subject Index | WWII Books | WWII Links | Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (12 November 2015), Churchill Mk X , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_churchill_X.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies