T8 Reconnaissance Vehicle

The T8 Reconnaissance Vehicle was a conversion of the M5 light tank designed to produce a reconnaissance vehicle.

On 21 December 1943 the Army Ground Forces asked for the development of a fully tracked armoured reconnaissance vehicle. On 17 February 1944 the Ordnance department ordered that two M5A1 light tanks should be converted to fulfil this role.

Both machines had the turret removed and an open fighting compartment created, with a mount for a .50in machine gun. The T8 had the machine gun at the right-rear of the fighting compartment while the T8E1 had the gun nearer the turret ring. The T8 used the normal M5 tracks, while the T8E1 had new 16in metal tracks. They could carry ten antitank mines on the outside of the right sponson.

Both the T8 and T8E1 were tested at Fort Knox and the T8E1 was judged to be superior. The Armored Force Board wanted to use the M24 Light Tank (Chaffee) in the reconnaissance role, but the T8 was accepted as 'limited standard' and saw some use in 1944-45.

WWII Home Page | WWII Subject Index | WWII Books | WWII Links | Day by Day

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (7 March 2014), T8 Reconnaissance Vehicle , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_T8_reconnaisance_vehicle.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies