T41 Howitzer Motor Carriage
The T41 Howitzer Motor Carriage was the first attempt to mount a 75mm howitzer on the chassis of the M5 Stuart light tank. A new superstructure was designed, with the 75mm howitzer mounted in the hull front and an open topped fighting compartment. A mock-up was produced, with the correct chassis and gun but an un-armoured version of the superstructure. This un-armoured of the T41 was tested in the spring of 1942, but it was abandoned in favour of the T47, which mounted a 75mm howitzer in a new open topped turret with 360 degrees of traverse and a better range of elevation. The T47 was standardized as the M8 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage and remained in service from 1943 until the end of the Second World War.
How to cite this article:
Rickard, J (14 March 2014), T41 Howitzer Motor Carriage , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_T41_HMC.html