The LVG D.V was a fast but hard-to-control experimental fighter produced by LVG during 1918, and that didn't enter production.
The LVG D.III and D.IV had used a circular-cross section semi-monocoque fuselage. This was abandoned for the D.V, which had a slab-sided plywood covered fuselage.
The most unusual part of the D.V was the wings. Most biplanes of this period with wings of unequal size had a larger upper wing and smaller lower wing. This was reversed on the D.V. The wings were of equal span. Both had straight leading edges and rounded tips. The lower wing had a very slightly curved trailing edge. The wings were connected by a single thin but deep strut that sloped outwards from lower to upper wing. A bracing strut ran from the upper sides of the fuselage to the base of the wing strut. The D.V used a similar Benz Bz III engine to the D.IV, with a chin radiator. It was armed with two 7.9mm LMG 08/15 machine guns. The rudder was almond-shaped and carried on a tubular spar, with the entire vertical tail moving.
The most unusual feature of these wings was that the entire upper wing outside the centre section pivoted, rotating in opposite direction to provide lateral control. This replaced the normal ailerons. Pictures show a small slot in the wings above the struts to allow for this movement.
The D.V underwent tests in the summer of 1918. It was found to be fast but hard to control. In July 1918 Paul Ehrhardt, the designer of the aircraft, crash landed. The aircraft turned turtle and was badly damaged. After this work on the D.V ended.
Engine: Benz Bz IIIbm
Armament: two 7.9mm LMG 08/15 machine guns