A.E.G. C.VIII

The A.E.G. C.VIII was an experimental entry in the A.E.G. C series and was produced with two different wing configurations, one biplane and one triplane.

The C.VIII was produced in two versions. Both used a 160hp Mercedes D.III engine, welded steel tube construction and were fabric covered.

The basic C.VIII was a single-bay two-seat biplane, which was completed in October 1917. It used a new tail, had 'ear' type radiators which were mounted on the sides of the fuselage but were less vulnerable to damage than earlier side-mounted types and had multi-spar wings. It also had a neater engine installation than most A.E.G. designs, although part of the engine still jutted up above the fuselage.

Second was the C.VIII.Dr triplane, which added triplane wings to the basic design. The upper wing was bigger than the lower wings, and the wingspan was over 5ft wider than on the biplane. The triplane version was slower than the biplane, and had the same rate of climb.

Neither variant of the C.VIII entered production.

Engine: Mercedes D.III
Power: 160hp
Crew: 2
Span: 31ft 2in (biplane), 36ft 9in (upper wing, triplane)
Length: 22ft 7 3/4in (biplane)
Empty weight: 1,760lb (biplane)
Loaded weight: 2,552lb (biplane)
Max speed: 106.25mph (biplane)/ 103.12mpg (triplane)
Climb Rate: 3.8.min to 3,280ft (both)

Books on the First World War | Subject Index: First World War

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (8 February 2016), A.E.G. C.VIII , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_AEG_CVIII.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies