488th Bombardment Group

History - Books - Aircraft - Time Line - Commanders - Main Bases - Component Units - Assigned To

History

The 488th Bombardment Group was a home based training unit that was active from October 1943 until May 1944.

The group was activated on 1 October 1943 and was assigned to the Second Air Force, although a month later it was moved to the Third Air Force. The group served as a replacement training unit, training crews to fill gaps in existing units. It was disbanded on 1 May 1944.

Books

-

Aircraft

1943-44: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Timeline

14 September 1943 Constituted as 488th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
1 October 1943 Activated and assigned to Second Air Force
November 1943 To Third Air Force
1 May 1944 Disbanded

Commanders (with date of appointment)

Lt Col Rudolph B Robeck: 1 Oct 1943
Maj George H Goody: 12 Oct 1943
Lt Col Ansley Watson: 25 Oct 1943
Col Gerry L Mason: 11 Dec 1943
Lt Col Ansley Watson: 11 Feb 1944
Lt Col Robert K Martin: 15 Mar-1 May 1944

Main Bases

Geiger Field, Wash: 1 Oct 1943
MacDill Field: Fla, 1 Nov 1943-44

Component Units

818th (formerly 840th) Bombardment Squadron: 1 May 1944:
841st Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944
842nd Bombardment Squadron: 1943-1944
843rd Bombardment Squadron: 1943- 1944

Assigned To

October-November 1943: Second Air Force
November 1943-May 1944: Third Air Force

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (30 April 2014), 488th Bombardment Group , http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/488th_Bombardment_Group.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies