426th Reconnaissance Group

History - Books - Aircraft - Time Line - Commanders - Main Bases - Component Units - Assigned To

History

The 426th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF) was a home-based unit that was never fully organised, despite being officially activated on 1 July 1943.

Four squadrons were allocated to the group, but on 15 August it was disbanded. Two of the squadrons shared the same fate, and two were transferred to other commands.

The 44th and 46th Reconnaissance Squadrons were disbanded on 15 August 1943 without receiving aircraft or men.

The 45th Reconnaissance Squadron was moved to III Reconnaissance Command on 11 August 1943, when it was redesignated as the 32nd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, and remained in existence until 1945.

The 47th Liaison Squadron was transferred to II Air Support Command on 11 August and remained in existence until 1948.

Books

-

Aircraft

None assigned

Timeline

25 June 1943 Constituted as 426th Reconnaissance Group
1 July 1943 Activated, assigned to Third AF
15 August 1943 Disbanded

Commanders (with date of appointment)

-

Main Bases

Gainesville AAFld, Tex: 1 July-15 August 1943

Component Units

44th, 45th, 46th, 47th: 1943

Assigned To

1943: Third Air Force

How to cite this article: Rickard, J (25 March 2015),426th Reconnaissance Group , http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/USAAF/426th_Reconnaissance_Group.html

Delicious Save this on Delicious

Help - F.A.Q. - Contact Us - Search - Recent - About Us -  Subscribe in a reader - Join our Google Group - Cookies