The 16th Fighter Group (USAAF) formed part of the defence force for the Panama Canal from 1932 until it was disbanded in 1943.
The group was authorized in 1923 but wasn't actually activated until 1 December 1932. It was formed in the Canal Zone, where it operated a variety of pursuit types. In 1941 it standardized on the P-40, which it kept for the rest of its existence. The group survived until 1943 and was disbanded in the Canal Zone on 1 November 1943.
1932-1941: Various including P-12, P-26, Curtiss P-36 Hawk, Bell P-39 Airacobra
1941-1943: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
|24 March 1923||Authorized but inactive|
|1 December 1932||Activated in Panama Canal Zone|
|1939||Redesignated 16th Pursuit Group (Interceptor)|
|1942||Redesignated 16th Fighter Group|
|1 November 1943||Disbanded|
Robert L Walsh: c. 2 Sep 1933-c. 14 Aug
Lt Col Willis H Hale: c. 11 Jul 1938-c. 8 Aug 1939
Maj Arthur L Bump: c. 1939-c. Feb 1941
Capt Roger J Browne: 24 Feb 1941
Lt Col Otto P Weyland: 20 May 1941
Lt Col Philip B Klein: 10 Apr 1942
Lt Col Hiette S Williams Jr: Sep 1942
Maj James K Johnson: 1943
Maj Erwin Bishop Jr: 25 Sep 1943-unkn.
Albrook Field, Canal Zone: 1 Dec 1932-1 Nov 1943
1933-40: IX Bomber Command
1940-42: 12th Pursuit Wing; Panama Canal Zone
1942-1943: XXVI Fighter Command; Sixth Air Force